Sunday, May 9, 2010

Contribution Of Royalty

The riddle Will Oldham


There are emotions and the people who put them into music. Will Oldham is in my opinion, one of the leading artists of the last fifteen years. Of course, it has not been a resounding commercial success, but this does not prevent him from releasing an album a year (on average) and benefit from a major recognition of the important players in the music industry. I was curious to see his live show opening for Bjork and the public reaction ...

Whether under his name, pseudonym of Bonnie Prince Billy or within the Palace Brothers, Palace Music, Oldham has this particularly fragile voice and singing style unmistakable. And beyond the style there are the texts. This is probably what distinguishes el over all the other songwriters in its category (a category which would include that? Vic Chesnutt? Smog? ... Suggestions?). It is especially under Bonnie Prince Billy I was seduced by Will Oldham. Some themes are major themes in music, especially those involving human relationships, love, friendship and loneliness are inexhaustible sources of inspiration for those who know how to draw. Especially since I am constantly questioned about the kind of life these people must lead, at least where the thoughts that live everyday ...

I entered automatically into the world of Bonnie Prince Billy through the door of the fabulous "Master and Everyone" (2003). At that time (2003), I'm heartache and struggle with spiritual considerations. Was until you know Leonard Cohen. But still, it was a rare occasion where someone put my emotions into music that way and I could not appreciate its depth. How many times have I felt this surge of emotion in my throat in my eyes listening to "Hard Life" and "The Way". This disc has also proved a success interesting (for a disk stripped of this kind). But I hung on a criticism made by Ian Penman in the pages of the Wire, who did not share the enthusiasm of everyone on this disc, preferring an earlier disc, "I See a Darkness" (1999). He also blamed the "beard conceptual "on the album cover, seen more by the author as existing for aesthetic consideration rather than as a simple beard ... When I finally listened to "I See a Darkness" and I understood why I gave him reason.



This album struck me as significantly above the level of songs, lyrics and arrangements. There are real pearls and this in abundance. I speak here of the title track, "Black" and, especially, but especially, "Death to Everyone". We can cry genius talking about this song, Oldham venturing an avenue oh so slippery but well done by wishing the death of all. Moreover, the themes are more varied and are not all about relationships.



Subsequently, his collaboration with Matt Sweeny on "Superwolf" (2005) was equally cryptic. Sutout in the lyrics, where Oldham surprises us playing both male and female characters in the same song writing in first person (which sometimes leads to confusion). I think that emotions are best worn by those songs are those that are contradictory; love - hate, desire and rejection, including incongruous allusions to sexuality ... A disc so powerful and intimate it is quite disturbing.




Strangely, the book is included in the kit "Superwolf" a short story by American author Paul Bowles , on the distinction between alcohol and cannabis and its uses in Muslim Societies (hashish) and western (alcoholic), and their psychological impact on people. Interesting text which nevertheless blurs the coherence of the musical work. The logic of its inclusion does surely as by a thread, which is located in the head of its creator, but one that escapes the questions.


discs latest Bonnie Prince Billy "Beware" (2009), "The Letting Go" (2006), "Lie Down in the Light" (2008), among others, I do not appear as bright as their predecessors. Leaving me with the impression that Oldham is trying to make his way more accessible. Note that I here is not between light to dark.



In "Survival of the Fireflies" by Georges Didi-Huberman , it analyzes some writings of the Italian writer and filmmaker Pier Paolo Pasolini . He speaks of these men fireflies seeking their way through the darkness by following the "shifting gleams of desire" in love and friendship. In his many records, Oldham manages to be humane and it is this same humanity that seeks to make us sign in the night, reminding us that we are alive, looking for love and others ....

And if I rehash all of this is that naturally, the emotions came back, love and sadness, taking with them their own set of contradictory thoughts and actions and I need someone who can still express them for me.

To give me the feeling of escape from this deception.

0 comments:

Post a Comment