Friday, July 9, 2010

Marioa Salieri Streaming

once in the West


It's been a while since I want to talk about comics on this blog. I am not an expert in this area but I still read and continues to buy time to time. As I also talk about things we do not talk very little, I'll stop on a series totally fascinates me, especially by the richness of its main character, is the western series "Jonathan Cartland. These comic books are readily available in used bookstores, resulted in $ 5 or less and when I find them, I buy them. I remember having read some when I was a kid and I was not too hooked. I do not understand much and it lacked entertainment (for children). I plunged into this series recently and I was struck by its complexity and attention to detail by writer Laurence Harle.

Jonathan Cartland's character is that of a trapper in the 19th century, which runs America in search of calm and tranquility. It is the adventure that seeks more than he seeks adventure. It is often found penniless alcoholic, disillusioned, in a city of the American West where his talents finally tracker and a guide are required. Cartland is an anti-hero like many others, only the constant struggle he waged against his inner demons adds a depth that few can claim cartoonist. It is also close to the Indian, he knows their rituals, practices, and quite a course on First Nations that is delivered to us in the pages of this comic. Moreover, one sees quickly married in Lesser Snow, an Amerindian tribe belonging to the Oglala Sioux . This is also his murder by a Shoshone warrior which will free the language of the unconscious of our hero. From that moment, we see Cartland in search of his own death and finding solace in the arms of dangerous women. Mike Tamburo had included with his play "Something about Dangerous Women" and Jonathan Cartland too. He quickly falls in love with prostitutes, killers, drug addicts, without regard for the spouses or other lovers. Women who are haunted by demons powerful, sometimes linked to his. Whether Cynthia Ann, young bourgeois English kidnapped by Navajos, who becomes addicted to Mescal and finds himself the centerpiece of a brothel in San Francisco. Cecilia, bride of Duke Wilhelm of Germany whom he falls in love, addicted to laudanum, owned by hysterical seizures, which eventually crushed under the debris ... In short, beautiful female characters, strong and turbulent, which will seduce our hero tries to save them as he can.

is also a beautiful part of Native American spirituality that is exposed at the discretion of the tribes visited, Mandan, Hopi, Cheyenne , Navajo ... Cartland's dreams are an important part of the story, we see the ritual of the Sun Dance, evil spirits, purification rituals ... The dynamics and religious beliefs are beautifully presented. Attention to detail that even includes the character of a Honukhé, a "contrary" to the Sioux, a practice rarely explained when addressing Native American spirituality.

There is something fascinating about American Indian spirituality. I learned a little against me during a course on the subject I took at university. Perhaps it is because I hold myself ancestral lands of these tribes, the name of the country where I live and that of many cities is derived from indigenous languages. always is it that I feel a certain pride to be able to talk about American Indian history and practices, and bring to mind people that we inhabit their land.

And as it is primarily a music blog, I'll leave that part of Gila, from the album "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee", a draft Conny Veit and Florian Fricke of Popol legendary krautrock Vuh, probably also fascinated by American Indian history.

0 comments:

Post a Comment